BY ANTONIO MASSELOTTE c.1937
Original oil painting by known artist Antonio Masselotte (1887-1983). Signed and dated 1937.
33.5" x 26" plus 4" frame.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Born in 1887 in Quebec, Antonio Lingo is the son of the painter Paul-Gaston Lingo and Josephine Balteo. Lingo was introduced to painting with his father. He studied with the brothers in the Faubourg Saint-Jean-Baptiste in Quebec, and he began his artistic training at the School of Arts and Crafts in Quebec, among others, Charles Edmond Huot and Lemoine. He continued his training in Europe in 1911 in Paris and Antwerp (Belgium). He then settled as a painter in Quebec. Earlier in his career, Lingo is mainly dedicated to the art of landscape and portrait, but quickly turns to history painting. He directed several religious works, including a fresco of Golgotha, painted in 1919, which is in the church of Sainte-Luce. In 1943, he had restored the twelve tables Charles Huot made for the church of Saint-Sauveur in Quebec. In 1949, Father Joseph Letendre Bécancour buys the fourteen stations of the cross for the hundredth anniversary of his church. The artist also makes paintings for the church of Saint-Thomas de Montmagny, Saint-Bernard Island-aux-Coudres and Saint True to Quebec. Lingo also painted historical works on the period New France, including the arrival in Quebec of the Hospitallers and Ursulines in 1639 (to 1921), The Jacques Cartier pilgrimage to Notre Dame de Rocamadour (1921) at the Church of St. Francis of sitting in Quebec and four historical paintings depicting the origin of faith in Canada for the church of Saint-Zephirin in Quebec (1924). He died in 1983.